HISTORICAL SITES

Rix House

Rix House

4071 Bay Street · Fremont

This small Gothic Revival house, now used as offices, faces south on a mid-block parcel near the historic “five corners” in downtown Irvington. The lot has a street frontage of 80 feet, tapering to a width of about 30 feet at the rear. The long sides measure 128 feet on the west and 96 feet on the east. The house, which was moved to this location at an early date, is sited close to the street. The front yard, bordered by a white picket fence, contains two large cedars. The back and side yards are landscaped with lawns, shrubs, and trees including redwood, cedar, fig , and orange. There is a gravel driveway and parking area on the west. The property is encompassed by modern commercial development. The Rick Mark shopping center wraps around the site on the east, and there is a two-story commercial building with parking lot to the west.

793 Old Canyon Road House

793 Old Canyon Road

Fremont

The building at 793 Old Canyon Road is located on a 100’ x 286’ lot on the south side of Old Canyon Road, between Sycamore Street and Clarke Drive. Built circa 1905, 793 Old Canyon Road is a two-story, wood-frame dwelling designed in the Colonial Revival style. The rectangular-plan building, clad in lapped wood siding, is capped by a hip-on-gable roof with a shed roof addition in the rear. The south slope of the roof features a gable dormer. The primary façade faces north and features a full-width porch, supported by Ionic columns and a wood base with a stone veneer. Centered over the porch on the north slope of the roof is a hipon- gable dormer with a pair of one-over-one, double-hung, wood-sash windows.

Mattos House

Mattos House

38323 Blacow Road · Fremont

This large house faces northeast to Blacow Road on a rectangular, mid-block with a frontage of 132 feet and a depth of 263 feet. The house has a substantial setback and extensive grounds covering about three-quarters of an acre. A wrought iron fence extends across the street frontage, with brick paving and a fountain bordering the sidewalk. Two gateways serve a driveway that circles around the house. The grounds are landscaped with manicured lawns and topiary hedges, with a variety of large trees at the rear. Beds of flowering and evergreen shrubs extend around the house. Encompassed by a modern subdivision, the house is bordered on the west by a modern church, and there is a modern swim center at the rear.

4002 Bay Street

4002 Bay Street

Fremont

The building at 4002 Bay Street is located on a rectangular lot on the south side of Bay Street, between Fremont Boulevard and Trimboli Way. The building covers the parcel to the lot lines. Built circa 1910, the building at 4002 Bay Street is a two-story, woodframe, early-twentieth century commercial building. The rectangular-plan building, clad in pressed metal and tile, sits on a concrete slab foundation and is capped by a flat roof.

 

MISSION PEAK HERITAGE FOUNDATION
P.O. BOX 3078, FREMONT, CALIFORNIA 94539


Maintained by Niles Web Design